Whether you are starting out a new website or blog or have a little more experience, you have probably asked yourself the following questions:
- Where to find the best WordPress resources without spending too much time there?
- How to choose from the tens of thousands of options available on the market (for example, there are nearly 55,000 plugins just on the official directory…)?
- What tools/services are really reliable?
This page is here to help you.
You will find our favorite resources, divided into several categories as you can see below.
Fasten your seat belts, we’ll take off right away!
Some of the links in these resources are affiliate links. This means that if you decide to buy one of them, a small commission will be paid to Us (without any extra cost on your side). These revenues are used to keep the blog alive in order to continue offering you the best possible content to help you progress. Despite everything, we do not promote products for the commissions they generate. If free resources are suitable, then we present them to you. We would like to express your interest before our own.
Web Hosting/Install WordPress
Find a WordPress theme
A WordPress theme helps you organize your website content.
Yabacon presents you some regularly and to go even further, the theme shops below will also allow you to discover new ones:
- Astra : It’s one of the most popular theme in the official directory… It is stylish, highly customizable and easy to handle. For instance, there are one-click install starter websites.
- ElegantThemes : This shop offers 87 themes, including the famous Divi, which has attracted more than 600,000 customers! If you use this link”>If you use this link, you will receive a 20% discount on their yearly and lifetime access.
- Themeforest : The world’s largest template sales platform. You will find WordPress themes in all domains (blog, portfolio, magazine, ecommerce etc.). However, don’t buy one on the spur of the moment. Weigh the pros and cons without being influenced by the demos and prefer themes that do not use the WP Bakery page builder.
- ThemeTrust : If you are looking for themes with a minimalist and bold style, ThemeTrust can help you. This shop offers about twenty themes that can be adapted to many projects (business, portfolio, blog, ecommerce).
- CSSIgniter : Founded in 2010 in Greece, CSSIgniter offers nearly 80 modern and refined themes adapted to different sectors.
- WPZoom : The themes proposed by WP Zoom are rather elegant, refined and functional. This company launched in 2008 and based in the Netherlands has developed about a hundred themes in different niches: business, magazine, blog, food, portfolio, WooCommerce, video, education. In short, there is a lot to do.
If you want to use free WordPress themes, you can go to the official WordPress theme directory.
A plugin adds new features to your WordPress site, without you touching a single piece of code.
On the official WordPress directory, there are nearly…. 55 000 plugins. To start with, here are some that may be useful to you (many others are presented throughout this page as you move through the sections):
- Elementor : With more than 3 million active installations, Elementor is the most popular page builder of the moment. It is an essential tool to create complex pages and overcome the limitations of your theme. We use it on Yabacon (including on this page) and for all my projects.
- WP Rocket : The most powerful caching plugin on the market. Very easy to use, effective from the moment you activate it, this premium plugin will simply speed up your page load time. I highly recommend it.
- Imagify : Designed by the same team as WP Rocket, Imagify is a freemium plugin that compresses your images to reduce their weight without sacrificing quality.
- Loco Translate : What could be more unpleasant than finding bits of foreign language text on our website? With this plugin, you will translate all this into English to please your visitors.
- Akismet : With more than 5 million active installations, Akismet is one of the most popular plugins on the official directory. Free and available by default on all new WordPress installations, this plugin filters out spam comments.
- Coming Soon Page & Maintenance Mode by SeedProd”>Coming Soon Page & Maintenance Mode by SeedProd : Sometimes, you will need to limit access to your website, to perform maintenance operations, or to work quietly on it before launching it. To do this, you can use this plugin, which allows you to create a Coming soon page.
- Duplicator : Duplicator allows you to move a site from one location to another (e.g. from the local server to your live site), without getting your hands on the code. Thanks to this fantastic plugin, you will be able to duplicate a website to work on it without altering the main website.
Did you know that? On average, 1 website is hacked every second in the world.
If WordPress remains a secure CMS, it is necessary to apply best practices and use the appropriate tools to try to protect you as much as possible, because no website is unfortunately infallible.
- UpdraftPlus : To harden the security of your site, you will need to back it up regularly. For this reason, I recommend UpdraftPlus. This plugin allows you to set up automatic backups and to store them on Dropbox”>Dropbox.
- iThemes Security : IThemes Security is an all-in-one security plugin. Among the many features offered, this plugin protects you against brute force attacks, allows you to change the default URL of your WordPress login, or redirect towards the HTTPS version of your website.
- ManageWP : ManageWP is a tool to monitor and maintain your WordPress websites from one dashboard. But it also allows, among other things, to backup your site and restore it in 1 click. In case of hacking or plugins conflicts, it can be useful ;-).
Improve your SEO
How to make your site visible on search engines, especially on Google?
Answer: By working on your SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Admit it would be a pity to have a beautiful site that nobody can find, right?
- Yoast SEO : Is it still necessary to introduce you to Yoast? Yoast SEO is simply the most popular plugin on the official directory, with more than 5 million active installations. I use this SEO plugin on Yabacon.
- Redirection : As soon as you modify or delete a content, it is necessary to set up a 301 redirect. If not, your visitors will land on an error page. To prevent this, there is an essential feature: the Redirection plugin.
- MonsterInsights : Connect your WordPress website to your Google Analytics account to check various statistics regarding the traffic and so much more.
Promote your Website
Once your site is well established, you may want to attract new users and try to retain them to increase your traffic, reputation and revenue.
To do this, you can use different options (emailing, social networks, advertising, video etc.) and tools such as:
- Mailchimp : To send newsletters to your subscribers, Mailchimp is the most popular service. It is free for up to 2,000 subscribers and allows you to send up to 12,000 emails per month. If you are new to the world of emailing, I recommend it. In addition, it is compatible with many plugins.
- MailOptin : This plugin allows you to create optin forms, in order to capture your visitors’ emails and grab more subscribers into your Mailchimp list. You can add forms below your posts, in sidebars and even in popup windows.
- ThriveLeads : Thrive Leads is a premium optin plugin full of options and very cheap. If building your email list is a priority for you, it will certainly be the perfect fit.
- Social Warfare : Want to add social sharing buttons to your website? Social Warfare is definitely the plugin you need. Thanks to it, you will be able to attract traffic to your site and strengthen your social proof.
Launch your online store
Do you want to embark on the great adventure of e-commerce? Stay around because WordPress will be able to help you.
- WooCommerce”>WooCommerce : This is the essential plugin to create an online store with WordPress. In addition, many addons allow you to bring new functionalities. However, be sure to use an optimized theme for this plugin, otherwise the appearance will not be extraordinary.
- WooCommerce Subscriptions”>WooCommerce Subscriptions : A must-have plugin to create and manage products with recurring payments to your customers.
- AffiliateWP : To increase the sales of your online store, you can offer affiliates to promote your products (and allow them to earn a commission on the sales they have generated).
- Cartflows”>Cartflows : Increase the conversion rate and average shopping cart of your online shop with additional offers and using one-click sales funnels.
- LifterLMS”>LifterLMS : POffer online courses and training programs to your visitors. Only authorized users – who have paid – will be able to access your courses/training programs.